Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Introducing new languages to my children


I just bought a used Aladding dvd in Portuguese... My three year old it's been asking me to play Aladdin for him, since about 3 months ago I brought it from the library for a week.
Back then, we used to make very constant trips to the library, it was right across the street from where we were living.
I decided then to introduce French, and they have wonderful children videos in French, sort of like Baby Einstein videos, but the words they show along with the pictures are in French.
Now I bought this video in Portuguese... he speaks Spanish and half English from the TV he watches regularly.
Some times I think I may confuse him from all these different languages introduction, but i've been doing some research, and they all say the earlier we introduce a foreign language, the easier it will be for them to pick it up and be fluent. There's even cristicism about how the public schools only introduces foreign languages after the age of 7 or even 10 when it's a little late for them to pick it up as quickly and easier.
I then remembered when I learned a third language, Portuguese, and when i speak it, I learned to think in that language... Of course, the older we get, the more we do in translating words instead of thinking in that language.
My mother told me about this program the NASA had with children at 7 years old speaking up to 5 languages. Because of this, more percentage of their brain was developed and therefore, their abilities to think, analyze, do mathematical problems were much more advance. Not that I am pretending for my child to be that advance, but I think it's pretty cool for anyone to manage more than two languages; And research shows that the earlier they are introduced, the better.
One other think I would like them to have a passion for will be music and/or sports... but that I will let them choose once they are 5 or so.
One thing I am not sure about is the way, frenquency, and constancy to do this. What do you think?

No comments: